Dental exams and cleanings are a crucial part of maintaining a lifetime of great oral health. The American Dental Association advises that starting at the age of one, people should visit the dentist twice a year for checkups. Here’s what you need to know about dental exams!
What Happens During a Dental Exam?
Exams allow dentists the opportunity to check for various signs and symptoms of dental issues. They are essential for early detection, prevention, and treatment of oral health problems. Dentists will check:
- Bite: Dentists will assess bite, teeth, and jaw alignment to check for any potential joint problems like temporomandibular joint disorder, teeth crowding, or signs of grinding.
- Existing Dental Restorations: Exams are a great opportunity to check that any existing restorations, such as bridges, crowns, fillings, and more are still in good condition.
- Gums: The state of your gums can shed a light on your oral health. Dentists will look for signs of swelling, redness, or swelling to determine if you have gum issues or gum disease.
- Soft Tissues: Oral cancer screenings are an important part of exams. Dentists will look for any abnormal abscesses or lesions on the cheeks, lips, throat, and tongue.
- Teeth: Dentists will examine each and every tooth to ensure there are no signs of cavities, damage, or unusual discoloring. They may also use X-rays to identify potential problem areas that can’t be seen by the naked eye.
Your Trusted Dentist in Midtown Dental in Logan, Utah
If you’re overdue for a dental exam, don’t put it off any longer! Dental exams are necessary for keeping your smile in tip-top shape! Our experienced dentist, Dr. Tanner Hunsaker understands the value of preventive dentistry and the positive impact it can have on our patients’ oral health. Please contact our office to schedule your next dental exam!Contact Us